- Rachio recommends professional installation; however, we provide installation instructions for handy people with DIY skills.
- Rachio recommends specific installation instructions (see Step 5) based on your pipe size and material. Using any installation methods other than those recommended could damage the Wireless Flow Meter or void the warranty. Using glue of any kind will damage the flow meter.
- While installation times average 30 minutes, we recommend allowing 2 hours for completion.
Step 1: Make sure your system is compatible
Before proceeding with instructions or cutting any pipe, make sure your system is compatible:
- Installation site must be within 300 feet of an installed and set up Rachio 3 Smart Sprinkler Controller.
- Backflow preventer and installation area are aboveground (recommended). If you need to install underground, refer to this article for instructions.
- The flow meter is not rated for potable water and must be installed after the backflow preventer.
- System must have ¾-inch or 1-inch pipe made of either copper, PVC, or PEX.
- For 1-inch PVC pipe, 1-inch copper pipe, and ¾-inch PVC pipe, you will need 14 inches of straight pipe between the backflow preventer and valve box.
- For ¾-inch copper pipe, you will need 16 inches of straight pipe between the backflow preventer and valve box.
If your system contains any of the following variables, you will need supplemental instructions to complete the installation.
- System does not have the minimum required length of aboveground straight pipe
- System has an underground backflow preventer
- More than one backflow preventer
- A pump
- More than one controller
Step 2: Confirm your Rachio 3 is installed and online
Confirm your Rachio 3 Smart Sprinkler Controller is installed and online. If you're unsure if the Rachio 3 is online, go to the Rachio app and confirm the controller status from the Home screen or the "More" tab.
Step 3: Identify pipe material
Identify the material of the pipe between your backflow preventer and valve box:
Not sure what pipe material is in your irrigation system? We recommend a professional installation - request one here!
Step 4: Identify pipe size
Identify the size (1 inch or 3/4 inch) of the pipe between your backflow preventer and valve box. To find your pipe size, look for information printed or stamped on the pipe's exterior, or measure the pipe's diameter.
Not sure what size pipe is in your irrigation system? We recommend a professional installation - request one here!
Step 5: Select specific installation instructions
For a successful installation, you must refer to the installation instructions matching your system (linked below). Don't miss a step! Carefully review and follow all instructions.
Do not glue fittings into the Rachio Wireless Flow Meter. The flow meter is made of ABS plastic and can be damaged if the wrong solvent is used. The fittings recommended do not require glue and are easy to install.
Combine the pipe size with the pipe material identified above, then click the matching link below for installation instructions specific to your system:
- 1-inch copper
- ¾ inch copper
- 1-inch PVC
- ¾-inch PVC
- 1-inch PEX
- ¾-inch PEX
- For underground installation instructions, go here
Example Installation Video
Want to preview the installation steps? Check out our video below demonstrating a Wireless Flow Meter installation on a system with 1-inch copper pipe! Note that instructions and required fittings will vary depending on your pipe size and material - select your specific installation instructions above for details.
User Installation Video
Watch the video below to see how Rachio user HandyDadTV installed his Wireless Flow Meter!
For more information on the Rachio Wireless Flow Meter, visit the following Help Center articles:
- Rachio Wireless Flow Meter FAQ
- Rachio Wireless Flow Meter Shopping Guide
- Advanced installation for Rachio Wireless Flow Meter