For more detail, see article: Rain Sensors FAQ
In most installations, a rain sensor acts as a switch; as moisture absorbing disks expand, they activate a switch that interrupts the circuit from the controller to the solenoid valves. Once the rain sensor has dried out, the switch deactivates to allow for normal operation.
The Rachio 1st Generation Smart Sprinkler Controller is compatible with any wired or wireless normally closed (NC) rain sensor, which activates after rainfall (when the moisture-absorbing disks expand).
Wire it Up
Prior to installing the Rain Sensor, take a few moments to read through these instructions in their entirety. The rain sensor must connect ONLY to the following terminals on your Rachio Gen 1 device:
- rain sensor ( R1 , R2 ) terminals - for basic wired sensors
- common ( C ) terminal - for wireless (powered) sensors
Do NOT connect the rain sensor to any of the zones.
Installation methods must comply with all applicable national and local electrical codes. If you are unsure about proper wiring practices, have a qualified contractor perform the installation for you.
How To: Connect Rain Sensor Wiring
1) Disconnect power to the controller.
2) Route the Rain Sensor connection wire into the controller through the access hole in the base or bottom of the wall mount
3) Locate your controller's sensor terminals (yellow) and attach the Rain Sensor control wires directly to these terminals (in either order) -- see diagrams.
4) Enable the rain sensor in the Rachio App > Controller Settings
5) Reconnect power to the Rachio
Rain Sensor Wiring Diagrams | Generation 1
Are you replacing a Hunter SRC controller that has a rain sensor? Please read these wiring notes
a) Wired Rain Sensor (basic non-powered)
To connect a wired rain sensor to your Rachio 1st Generation controller, please see the wiring diagram below:
b) Wireless Rain Sensor (powered transponder)
To connect a wireless rain sensor to your Rachio 1st Generation controller, you can find model-specific diagrams in the links, below:
Compatible Rain Sensors (Click name for Specs & Instructions)
- Hunter Rain-Clik Wireless Rain Sensor
- RAIN BIRD WR2 Wireless Rain Sensor
- Toro Wireless Rain Sensor
- Irritrol Wireless Rain Sensor
- Orbit Wireless Rain Sensor
Enable in App
To activate the rain sensor in the Rachio app, please follow the steps below:
1) From the Home screen, select the "More" tab and then "Accessories."
2) Next, select "Sensor (S1 Terminal)". You may only add a rain sensor to this terminal if there is not one currently installed. If there is a sensor installed, select "Sensor (S2 Terminal)", the option below S1.
3) Enable the sensor by toggling it on.
4) Select the type of sensor you're adding (in this case, "Rain").
Check if it Works
To test the Rain Sensor operation, please review: How to test a rain sensor