If you change your ISP (Internet Service Provider), router, or update your WiFi name/password, you will need to update your WiFi network within your Rachio App. This way, your controller will remain connected to the internet. This can be done easily by navigating to the "More" tab, then "Controller Settings" and then "Update Wi-Fi Network".
Check out our video below for step-by-step instructions on resetting the WiFi on your Generation 1 controller.
Step by Step Guide
- From the "More" tab, select "Controller Settings";
- Click on "Update Wi-Fi Network" and click "Next".
Make sure that the unit is plugged in and the Wi-Fi light is blinking on the face of the Rachio.
- Much like your smartphone, the Generation 1 Rachio will automatically find known networks. Make sure to select the appropriate (2.4 Ghz) network and click "Next".
If the network you are using does not show up, click on "Update Network" and the device will refresh with all known networks.
- After clicking "Next" you will be prompted to enter your network password. Once you have entered your password, click "Next". Where you will be brought to a page that explains the BlinkUp process.
Note that the password is case sensitive and character sensitive. So if your password has any dashes (-) or any other special characters (i.e: +, !, #, *), make sure to enter them.
- Make sure to read through the message to make sure you will be successful with your BlinkUp and click "Connect."
Additional recommendations during the BlinkUp process
- Have the brightness turned all the way up on your device.
It's best to turn off "Auto-Brightness" in your phone's settings.
- Have your device screen completely pressed up against the faceplate/photo-sensor with no gap.
- Preferably be in a dark room with little, to no ambient light.
Please note you can take the faceplate off and bring it into a darker room if need be.
- Keep your smart device pushed flush with the face-plate for at least 15 seconds, preferably 20 seconds. This helps ensure that the controller connects, not only to your (local) Wi-Fi network but also to our server.
- Make sure that the Wi-Fi light begins blinking green and you have successfully connected.
If the lights don't eventually blink green please reference this article to see what color your blinking lights mean.
Need more information for specific phone models?
Please refer to the following article for detailed instructions for different Android phones: BlinkUp tips for Android (Generation 1).