Laying down new seed? Let's talk schedules.
When you lay down new seed, keeping the soil moist is key. There are a few different ways to set up schedules that will water small amounts multiple times a day. Below are the different methods, along with some tips and tricks for each option.
IN THIS ARTICLE
Multiple Fixed Schedules
One way to accomplish watering your newly seeded zone is to set up multiple fixed schedules for that zone, each with different start times. If you need help creating a schedule, you can check out this support article.
- This method is easy to set up, and is all within the Rachio app.
- This method is able to use the Weather Intelligence features Rachio provides, such as Rain and Climate Skip.
- Depending on how often you need to water, this option may exceed the schedule capabilities of your controller. We do not recommend creating more than 8 schedules on Generation 1 controllers and 16 schedules on Generation 2 controllers.
IFTTT (If This Then That)
Another option for setting up your new seeding schedule is to take advantage of our integration with IFTTT. This article has a general overview of IFTTT and its capabilities.
- This option is useful if the amount of times you need to water in a day exceeds the schedule limit for your controller.
- You do not get the benefits of Weather Intelligence with this option.
How to get set up
- 1) Go to ifttt.com and create an account if you do not already have one.
- 2) Click "My Recipes" at the top of the home page, and then click "Create a Recipe."
- 3) Click "this," and for channel select "Google Calendar." If you do not have this channel set up yet, go ahead and connect your google calendar account now.
- 4) Select the "Event from search starts" for your trigger, and set your keyword or phrase. This is up to you, we recommend choosing something specific. This will ensure that your watering is only triggered when you want , and not whenever you have an event!
- 5) Now you can select "that," and choose Rachio for your channel. If you have not set this channel up, go ahead and connect your Rachio account now.
- 6) When it comes to choosing an action, it depends on your personal situation. These two situations are outlined below:
- One newly seeded zone: Select "Start a zone." Here you can choose your zone and decide how long you would like that zone to be watered. If none of the default watering times match what you are looking for, follow the directions below.
- Multiple newly seeded zones: First, go into your Rachio app and create a fixed schedule with the zones you need included, and set the times you would like each to be watered. All of the other settings do not matter. Disable this schedule, and return to IFTTT. Now you can select the "Start watering time" action. From here select the schedule you just created.
- 7) Once you have selected your action, you can create your recipe. The only step left is to set up the watering events on your google calendar whenever you would like the zone to run.
Want to learn more about your newly seeded lawn? Join the conversation on our community! Start your own topic, or check out this existing thread discussing how to care for new seed.