Please proceed with CAUTION
- Before proceeding, please ensure that you read & understand all steps in article: Basic Wi-Fi Troubleshooting
If you are familiar with your network / router settings, please continue, but be aware...
The following tips are for ADVANCED USERS
1) The Rachio controller will need to make a connection through the following ports (Outbound Traffic):
|Device / Service||Port|
|Generation 1||53, 31314|
|Generation 2||53, 8883, 123|
Make sure these are not blocked.
Please DO NOT use port forwarding on your router to forward traffic from the internet to the unit; doing so may cause a vulnerability in your home network security.
2) Make sure that MAC address filtering on your router is disabled.
If you prefer to keep your MAC address filtering on, you will need to add the controller's MAC address to your router's access control list. Your MAC address can be found:
- In your Rachio App, under Device Settings
- On the sticker on the front of the controller, just under the serial number (for Gen2 only)
3) You may need to reserve an IP address for the Rachio controller and/or increase the lease time on your DHCP.
- Reserving an IP address for your controller will ensure that every time the controller requests an IP address from your router, it will receive the same address. Increasing the lease time will enable your controller to have an IP address for a longer period of time without having to request a new one.
Search for your specific route to find detailed instructions on how to accomplish the steps above:
Another great reference for troubleshooting network and router issues is
- Within this website, you can reference the different options on the left menu, under "Guides."