My Generation 1 controller is blinking, what does this light code mean?
Great question! The following guide should help you identify the LED light codes indicated by your the Wi-Fi light on your Gen 1 Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller.
Red Light Blinking - 1 Long, 2 Short
This means that your Rachio is having trouble locating the specified network.
Check that your Android or iOS device is connected to the correct WiFi network (SSID)
Note that the Gen1 will only join 2.4GHz WiFi networks.
Click here for Basic WiFi Troubleshooting
Red Light Blinking - 1 Long, 3 Short
Stuck here? This indicates difficulty joining your network.
Tips & Tricks
- Is your controller offline? Our new in-app help tool makes Wi-Fi troubleshooting a breeze! Tap the red "Offline" banner at the top of the Home screen for automatic troubleshooting help. Follow the prompts in the app to identify what's wrong and how to quickly fix it.
- Check that your network password is entered correctly
- Ensure you do not have a "Blended (2.4 & 5Ghz) Network" sharing an SSID's (network name)
Red Light Blinking - Quick Flash
This indicates that the Blinkup attempt was unsuccessful. See Tips and Tricks above for troubleshooting assistance.
Red - Amber - Off
A red/amber light code indicates a problem with the Rachio obtaining an IP address. This is usually due to a problem with the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). If you are receiving this light code, please attempt the following troubleshooting steps:
- Ensure that DHCP is active on your router and has enough possible IP addresses for all of your devices, including the Rachio controller.
- Check that "MAC address filtering" isn't enabled, or isn't denying the controller access.
- Assign an IP address manually to your Rachio via the Rachio's MAC address.
Amber - Red - Off
An amber/red light code indicates that the Rachio is having issues communicating with your DNS. If the Rachio is providing this light, please attempt the following troubleshooting steps:
- Check the DNS settings on your router. Try changing your DNS to 18.104.22.168 (Google's public DNS server).
- Sometimes the "DNS Relay" mode on some routers can confuse the Gen 1; try disabling this mode if need be.
Amber - Off - Red - Off
An amber/off/red/off light code indicates that the gen 1 cannot connect to the Rachio's web servers. This is normally due to a security setting or firewall issue on your router. The following troubleshooting steps may help you resolve this issue:
- Check the firewall settings on your router. Lowering the firewall restrictions may help the Rachio finalize the connection process.
- The Gen1 needs to make a connection to port 31314; ensure this port is not blocked.
Green Light Blinking
Standard Operation (No Action Needed)
> Long Blink | BlinkUp Successful (newer firmware)
> Steady Blink | Connected to server
> 1 Long 1 Short | Downloading Update
> Solid Green | Installing Update
Here are few things to consider:
- Green means go! If your WiFi light is green (solid or blinking) after BlinkUp, your Rachio Gen1 is all set up.
- Once the Gen1 is connected to your network, it may want to download an update immediately.
- Your Rachio app cannot communicate with controllers that are updating.
If you're seeing a "connection failed" notice after BlinkUp, or when otherwise communicating with your device, you may have to wait a bit or simply refresh the app. ( or force-close it )
If you are having trouble connecting to WiFi, please click here (insert Basic WiFi Troubleshooting Article).