IN THIS ARTICLE
For more detail, see article: Rain Sensors FAQ
In most installations, a rain sensor acts as a switch; as moisture absorbing disks expand, they activate a switch that interrupts the circuit from the controller to the solenoid valves. Once the rain sensor has dried out, the switch deactivates to allow for normal operation.
The Rachio 2nd Generation Smart Sprinkler Controller is compatible with any wired or wireless normally closed (NC) rain sensor, which activates after rainfall (when the moisture-absorbing disks expand).
Wire it Up
Prior to installing the Rain Sensor, take a few moments to read through these instructions in their entirety. The rain sensor must connect ONLY to the following terminals on your Rachio Gen 2 device:
- rain sensor ( S1 , S2 ) terminals - use S1 or S2, NOT both
- sensor common ( SC ) terminal
- sensor power ( SP ) terminal - for wireless (powered) sensors
Do NOT connect the rain sensor to any of the zones.
Installation methods must comply with all applicable national and local electrical codes. If you are unsure about proper wiring practices, have a qualified contractor perform the installation for you.
How To : Connect Rain Sensor Wiring
1) Disconnect power to the controller.
2) Route the Rain Sensor connection wire into the controller through the access hole in the base or bottom of the unit
3) Locate your controller's sensor terminals (SC & S1,S2) and attach the Rain Sensor control wires directly to these terminals (in either order) -- see diagrams.
4) Reconnect power to the Rachio controller.
5) Enable the rain sensor in the Rachio App Device Settings
Rain Sensor Wiring Diagrams | Generation 2
a) Wired Rain Sensor (basic non-powered)
To connect a wired rain sensor to your Rachio 2nd Generation controller, please see the wiring diagram below:
b) Wireless Rain Sensor (powered transponder)
To connect a wireless rain sensor to your Rachio 2nd Generation controller, please see the wiring diagram below: *wire colors will differ — find model-specific diagrams in links below:
Supported Rain Sensors (Click name for Specs & Instructions)
- Hunter Rain-Clik Wireless Rain Sensor
- Rainbird WR2 Wireless Rain Sensor
- Toro Wireless Rain Sensor
- Irritrol Wireless Rain Sensor
- Orbit Wireless Rain Sensor
Enable in App
To activate the rain sensor in the Rachio app, please follow the steps below:
1) From the dashboard screen, tap on Device Settings
2) Tap Advanced
3) Select the sensor terminal you wish to configure; in this example "Sensor 1"
4) Enable the sensor & select the type of sensor you're adding; in this case "Rain"
Check if it Works
To test the Rain Sensor operation, please review: How to test a rain sensor