Apple routers & Rachio | Desktop steps
Do you have an Apple router? (Airport Extreme, Airport Express, or Time Capsule) You may experience some difficulty connecting your Rachio controller to your network. This is because the Rachio is likely trying to connect via the 5GHz and not 2.4GHz, which is what the controller requires.
If this is the case, we suggest creating a guest network and blinking up / connecting your Rachio device using this network. Note that your Rachio will be connected to this guest network full time; this should not cause any issues, however. Below are some things of note regarding guest networks. Be sure to review these before making any changes.
- You must have an AirPort Extreme (3rd Generation or later), Time Capsule (2nd Generation or later), or AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd Generation) base station. If you have a 1st or 2nd Generation Extreme, a guest network cannot be created as dual bands were not enabled at this time. In this scenario you may need to update your frequency in the Radio Mode drop down menu to 802.11n only (2.4GHz).
- The base station should be configured as your primary router and not as a bridge. For more information, see How to Set Up the AirPort Extreme .
- The guest network can be secured with a password or left open and unlocked.
- On your computer find your Airport Utility ( Finder > Applications > Utilities > Airport Utility.)
- Once you have your Airport Utility opened click on your Airport Base Station. (This should be the Airport that you are using for all of your other devices.) You will need to enter in your network password.
- After entering your password you will see the current status of your Airport, including network name, IP addresses, serial number and wireless clients. At the bottom you will see Edit. Click on that.
- Next click on the Wireless Tab and at the bottom there is an option to Enable Guest Network. Click on this.
- Next you will want to name your network. For our purpose we named our Guest Network Rach_1435 . Feel free to name this however you'd like. 1. For Guest Network Security choose WPA2 Personal.
2. Enter in a Guest Network Password and be sure to verify this password and then click Update.
- The next process involves changing the Wifi on your phone to this new guest network. For an iOS device go to Settings > WiFi > Choose A Network and choose the guest network that you just created. You will be prompted to enter in your WiFi password.
- Once you are logged into your guest password you will need to go through blinking up / connecting your Rachio device. This is the same process that you've likely stepped through before. When connecting / doing the blink up, your guest network should automatically populate on the app so be sure to enter in your new password.
- This should do the trick. We advise reviewing this article for Apple devices, and this article for Android devices prior to blinking up. This article also has some more tips that are helpful when blinking up. ( Generation 1 controllers only - see tips near the bottom)