How do I activate my controller? (Generation 2)
Controller activation steps & tips
iOS users using OS 10.2, if you're getting stuck on a flash Light 3, please update your Rachio app to version 2.9.2. For details, please see this article.
IN THIS ARTICLE
Step by Step Instructions
Double check the lights on your controller
Your Gen2 Rachio is ready for Wi-Fi setup when Light One is solid and Light Two is blinking.
Connect your smartphone or tablet to WiFi
Your mobile device needs to be connected to the network you'll be adding the controller to.
- must be 2.4 ghz or dual band
- separated bands are recommended
- blended 2.4 / 5 ghz signals are not recommended
We also recommend putting your phone into airplane mode or disabling Wi-Fi assist (iOS) or Smart Network Switch (Android) while connecting the controller to WiFi to avoid any interference with your data plan; see WiFi assist for details.
Download the Rachio app
Rachio's app is free on the Apple App store or Google Play store.
Open the Rachio app and register for an account
This requires name, email address, username and password.
Add Device via Rachio App
The Rachio app prompts you to Add a Device > tap to continue. Select the generation of controller you have (if Gen 1, please refer to this video)
Find/Select your Controller
Rachio app will attempt to find your controller. If it cannot find your controller, please refer to this support article.
Select your controller from the list of available devices.
Note: If you’re installing more than one controller, you can verify the controller you’re installing by matching the available device ID with the last six digits of the MAC number. The MAC number is printed on the label found on the front of the controller.
Select the Desired Network
Remember the chosen network must be the same connection your mobile device is on and must be 2.4 ghz or dual band (2.4 ghz / 5 ghz). Once selected, the Rachio app will attempt to connect your controller to Wi-Fi.
Verify Serial Number
The Rachio app will ask you to verify the serial number of the device. It is a 7 digit number preceded by a 2 letter code. The serial number is printed on the label found on the front of the controller. Once entered, the Rachio app will attempt to activate your controller.
WiFi Setup Video
Are you a visual learner? Check out this video
WiFi Setup Tips
Recommended tips by operating system:
- Connect to the WiFi network you plan on adding the controller to (2.4 ghz optimized) and disable your cellular data before attempting WiFi setup (see Wi-Fi assist (iOS) for details).
- Do not attempt to connect your controller via WiFi in your phone's settings. The controller has to be connected using the Rachio app.
- Connect to the WiFi network you plan on adding the controller to (2.4 ghz optimized) and disable your cellular data before attempting WiFi setup (see Smart Network Switch (Android) for details).
- WiFi setup on Android requires the correct input of both your WiFi network password and controller's serial number. If either are incorrect, the process will fail.
Controller Light Codes
- Once WiFi Setup is complete, all four lights of the Rachio logo should be lit solid. If you cannot connect, please review the light code you are seeing and attempt the troubleshooting recommended.
WiFi Reset Steps
If your WiFi network credentials have changed (Name/SSID and/or password), we recommend you perform a WiFi Reset and NOT a Factory Reset. A WiFi Reset will clear the controller's network settings, but not the yard or schedule settings.
For a Step-by-Step guide on how to reset wifi on your Rachio Generation 2 controller, please see: How do I update wifi on my controller? (Generation 2)