Weather Service FAQ
Common Questions on Rachio's Weather Service
NOTE: For the most accurate weather data, it's important to select a Preferred Weather Station.
If you do not select a "Preferred Weather Station", then the closest National Weather Station (NWS) will used by default to provide weather data for your schedules.
Where does Rachio get its weather data?
Rachio receives weather data from the Aeris Weather Service.
Aeris, formerly known as HamWeather, has a history of collecting data from a large variety of sources, including Ham radio operators, personal weather stations, and official NWS and FAA sources. It's used by organizations like the US Air Force, Polaris, a number of TV broadcasters, and many more. You can find out more on
How can I check if Aeris has good support for my area?
Check the current conditions, past observations, and forecasts for the next week at
Why use Aeris?
Aeris provides near-real-time weather data, resulting in more accuracy.
In addition, we are able to draw from a much larger collection of weather data, as Aeris collects official weather information from stations in Canada, Europe, Australia, and beyond, in addition to personal weather stations (PWS) around the world.
I'd like to know if there are weather stations near me. Where can I check?
The Rachio App has a built-in map!
Simply login (web or mobile) to the
Rachio App > Local Weather > Change Weather Station to see stations in your area.
(see: choosing weather station)
Additionally, there's an interactive map of personal weather stations connected to the PWSWeather.com network available here.
Aeris doesn't have weather stations close enough to me. Is there something I can do?
You might want to consider purchasing / integrating a PWS, or Personal Weather Station.
For more information on Personal Weather Stations, and a wide range of options to fit your time/budget and expertise, please see our
Personal Weather Stations FAQ article.
Will the Aeris weather reports always be 100% accurate?
They'll probably be pretty close, but please keep in mind that when the weather forecaster on TV says "a 60% chance of rain", what they're really saying is "the chance of getting any rain, at all, for your specific area, combined with the chance of your specific location getting rained on, totals up to be 60%" (
This means that even with a 90% chance of precipitation, your yard might very well not get a drop, or with a 10% chance, yours might be the only yard in the neighborhood to get drenched. Weather is complex and inherently hard to predict, but we're working hard to use what we have to improve your yard.
Are your weather reports really "real time"?
They're updated frequently, but please keep the following in mind:
If it suddenly and unexpectedly starts raining 5 minutes before your watering schedule, there
is a chance your Rachio could still water.
We use the best information we have, but we're limited by the information that's available at any given time. While most professional weather stations record minute-by-minute observations, they often only report every hour. Also, some PWS's (including the ones hooked up to the CWOP network) may have up to a 20-minute lag between the time they make a measurement, and the time it works its way through to us. Keep in mind also that we use a combination of reports and forecasts, and short-term forecasts are rarely that wrong. So it's not likely, but it's possible.