Quick Start Guide (Generation 1)
Generation 1 Controller install steps & tips
IN THIS ARTICLE
Test your system
- Confirm each zone's functionality with your current controller prior to installing the Rachio controller. Find and repair any irrigation issues prior to installing your Rachio.
Check WiFi signal
- Check the signal strength at the location of your controller. We recommend a signal of at least 2 bars on your phone.
Unplug the power
- Disconnect power from your old controller.
Take a picture
- Photos of your current wiring are important for reference when you are wiring the Rachio
Remove your old controller.
- It's time for smart watering, with Rachio!
Anchor to Wall
- Install the Rachio Wall Mount to the wall using the two screws included.
Wire it Up
- Reconnect the wires to the Wall Mount terminals.
- Common Wires: Insert into either white terminal slot. If you have more than one common wire, we suggest entering one in each common slot (left and right).
- Zone Wires: Install in the green terminal slots.
- Master/Pump Valve Wire (if present): Install in the blue terminal slot, and enable in Advanced Settings within the app.
Download the Rachio app
Create Rachio account
Connect controller to WiFi via the app
Steps for Blinkup:
- Make sure the Rachio is powered on.
- The WiFi light should be blinking amber or red. If your WiFi light is not blinking, please power cycle your controller.
- Ensure your smart phone/tablet is connected to a 2.4GHz or dual band network. Rachio cannot connect to a dedicated 5GHz network, and blended networks are not recommended.
- Once the countdown begins, position screen face down and flush against the photo sensor. Leave your phone there while the screen is blinking. This should take approximately 10-15 seconds.
- Once connected, the WiFi light will blink green for one hour. After one hour, the WiFi light will go gray (turn off).
Tips for Connecting:
- Turn auto brightness all the way up on your smart phone/tablet.
- Hold your smart phone/tablet as still as possible during BlinkUp
- If you are in a brightly lit area, ambient light may impede the Blinkup process. We suggest a dark room.
Set up your zones
- You can configure each zone’s vegetation, soil, shade, nozzle, and slope types.
Create watering schedules
- Choose from 4 schedule types; Rachio will recommend an optimal watering schedule based upon the the zone attributes selected.
- Use the Remote to run any zone on-demand.
- Click on a Schedule (Edit screen) to run it on-command.
Share Access with others
- There will be a short green flash at the end of the blinkup, this indicates that your Rachio is responding to the signal codes that are being sent. No short green flash? Please reattempt blinkup.
- If blinkup fails more than twice, power cycle your Rachio and your smart phone/tablet.
- WiFi light not blinking green flash after blinkup? Take note of the wifi light light code and cross reference the error against the Light Codes found HERE.
- Do you have a master valve, but forgot to enable it? No sweat, it's an easy fix! Refer to Advanced Wiring for instructions.
- Your Rachio is designed to operate a pump start relay. Please reference Advanced Wiring AND the user manual for your pump start relay for wiring instructions.
- When the Rachio is watering, the status light should be lit blue. If the status light is blue, double check that the valve in question is wired to the wall mount correctly.
- Assuming wiring is correct, double check to make sure that your sprinkler valves have 24V AC solenoids.
Want a paper copy of the Quick Start Guide?
We understand sometimes things are easier to read on paper. Download & print a copy of the Quick Start Guide here: Rachio Controller, Generation 1